Eagle Harbor is the name of our town and the name of the body of water that comes inland off of Lake Superior. It was so named because the harbor’s shape resembles that of an eagle with outstretched wings. Discovered in the early 1800s the copper mining boom brought people here around 1840. In 1851, a lighthouse was built to accommodate inbound water traffic. The present structure that is our lighthouse was built in 1871 with lightkeepers manning the light until 1980 when it became automated. Presently the Keweenaw County Historical Society owns and operates the lighthouse, offering daily tours in the summertime. The light has become a tourist destination and one of the most photographed lighthouses in the country. In the early 1900s, copper prices declined and so too, did the population in the Keweenaw. Eagle Harbor is now more of a quaint resort town, with roughly 55 full-time residents. For a more complete history of the area visit the Keweenaw County Historical Societies website at www.keweenawhistory.org.